» Home  » Official  » Community Council  » Minutes, Nov 2007 

INDEX

 HOME

Welcome to Menstrie

 Churches

Services, activities

 Heritage

History, outdoors

 Images of Menstrie

 Your pictures ...

 Mailbag

You're telling us ...

 Official bodies

Council, health, school

 Social & sport

Fixtures, meetings, results

 

MINUTES OF COMMUNITY COUNCIL MEETING

13th November 2007, 7.00 pm, Dumyat Centre Library

Present:

In the chair

Les Sharp

Secretary

Caroline Crawford

Vice-Chairperson

Wendy Holt

Treasurer

Louise Craven

Members

Stan Paterson
Jim Gardiner
Kenny McKaig
Linda Matheson
Beth Cook
Janette Robb
Austin Mitchell

Apologies:

Tom Mack
Monika Mackenzie
Danny MacCormick

In Attendance:

Councillor Paterson
Councillor Carrick
Glynis Gordon, Lead Nurse, CHP
Sharon Cook, Local Resident

1. Approval of Minutes of 16th October 2007

Approved: Beth Cook
Seconded: Wendy Holt

The Chair welcomed the new members to their first meeting.

2. Matters Arising from Minutes

Direct bus service to Tullibody/Alloa: This will come under the Transport Review.

Menstrie Place: The flower bed will be turfed and the coping stones reinstated.

3. Glynis Gordon, Lead Nurse, Community Health Partnership: The Future of Menstrie Clinic

A survey was carried out in Forth Valley and it transpired that Menstrie Clinic was the least used. It would cost a lot to upgrade it to a clinic environment. For most of the week it stands empty. For health and safety reasons podiatry would have to move out of the current premises as they are not suitable. The alternative to this would be to go to Alva for the service or for a home visit. This then leaves only the Childrens' Clinic and best practice would be to do the immunisation at the Health Centre in Alva. Consideration should be give to trying to find alternative accommodation in Menstrie which could be adapted to provide an expanded service. It was said by the members that we would not like to see a denigration of services in the village as the population has risen by 50% with a large increase in babies and children. It was suggested that perhaps a mobile clinic would be a possibility: GG will look into this.

GG circulated the Review paper on Menstrie Clinic.

It was agreed that GG would try and establish the ownership of the current premises as well as specification and sizes required and whether funding would be forthcoming. It was also agreed that we were willing to look at joint working on this matter.

ACTION - EC

4. Treasurers Report

Wood Account - £1,725.53
Treasurers Account - £1,631.51
(this includes £293.30 raised through fundraising for next year's Fete which will be transferred to a separate account when this has been arranged).
It was agreed that the payment for this and the previous two issues of Menstrie Matters will be paid to the Scouts.

5. Community Policeman's Report

In the absence of the Community Policeman there was no report to hand.

6. Councillor Paterson's Report

Dog Bins

An additional bin will be put up at the other end of Abercombie Place.

ACTION - JP

Bus Service to Tullibody and Alloa

This will be considered once the new crossing has gone in.

Hazel Avenue

It was considered that the dropped crossings were adequate, although there were a couple of them that could be improved.

Autumn Leaves

An enquiry had been received about the amount of fallen leaves in the village, in particular Elmbank and Broompark Estates. Environmental Services will look at the problem although the road sweeper is already picking up leaves.

Dog Bins in the Back Road to Alva

There is a need for more bins.

ACTION - JP

Landscaping problems in Alder Crescent

A meeting is due to take place at the Sub-Station by Alder Crescent on Friday 23rd November at 3.00 pm regarding the landscaping problems in Menstrie Mains Estate. JP agreed to attend in place of Wendy.

ACTION - JP

Bus Stop at Midtown Gardens

EC reported that after a complaint by Councillor Mark English that there was a problem of vandalism, it was agreed that this bus stop was to be removed. The meeting unanimously agreed that this was a community facility and should remain.

ACTION - EC

At this point Councillor Paterson left the meeting.

7. Correspondence

All correspondence received since the last meeting was read and actioned as necessary.

8. Public Art/Village Environmental Improvements

Discussion took place with Julie Hamilton and Sheila Bulloch from Clackmannanshire Council.

Planning Permission is currently going to the Council for the two flagpoles to be erected at Midtown Gardens. As regards the public art it was suggested that perhaps a figure of a child which would reflect the various aspects of past and present industry in Menstrie could be erected at Midtown in harmony with the silver figures on the roundabouts at Collylands and Tullibody. We await plans from Julie Hamilton on this but if possible we would also like to see it lit up.

On a larger scale we would like to see improvements to Menstrie Glen and a working water wheel erected by the Scout Hall. This would be a proposed project for the current Ochils Landscape Partnership application to the Lottery and LS will attend the next meeting of the Steering Group in place of CC. CC/LS/LC agreed to meet on site to look at the overall plan.

ACTION - CC/LS/LC

9. Improvement to the Garden in Public Park

LS was unable to source tractor tyres for this project. However, he will look into the possibility of purchasing sleepers for a raised bed.

ACTION - LS

10. Community Woodland

The improvements to the path are scheduled to start at the beginning of January and last for a month.

11. Newsletter

This will be copied and distributed before the next meeting so that notice of any Christmas events is circulated on time.

12. Village Fete

It was agreed that the fundraising Bingo Tea was a success and another one will be held on 5th of December in the Burnside.
The Race Night will take place on the last night in February in the Hollytree.
A Coffee Morning will be held in the UF Church on 26th January from 10.00-12.00.

Enquiries will be made from Clacks Council regarding any start-up grants available for Fete.

ACTION - EC

13. Christmas Tree

LS made enquiries and has sourced a 25ft Christmas Tree for £100. Tom has kindly offered to transport it at no cost so this will enable us to spend some money on new lights for the tree.
CC will contact Derek Macintyre of Murdoch Smith to ask if they will again put a fence up round the tree.

The carol singing round the Christmas Tree will take place on 20th December and LS will source buckets for a voluntary collection for Fete funds. Mince Pies and mulled wine will once again be provided in the Church Hall.

ACTION - LS

14. Any Other Business

A consultation exercise by Clackmannanshire Council will take place at the end of November in the Scout Hall. This will be a joint consultation on the Core Path Plan and Ochils Landscape Partnership.

15. Website

John Lee and Austin Mitchell have jointly agreed to work on setting up a Community Council website. The members agreed with the cost outlay for this project.

16. Village Calendar

After discussion it was agreed that due to too short a timescale and the costs involved a calendar for this year would not be done but we will produce one in good time next year.

17. Date and Time of Next Meeting

Tuesday 11th December 2007 at 7.00 pm

About ... | Accessibility | Contact us | Privacy