» Home  » Official  » Community Council  » Minutes, Sep 2008 



Welcome to Menstrie


Services, activities


History, outdoors

 Images of Menstrie

 Your pictures ...


You're telling us ...

 Official bodies

Council, health, school

 Social & sport

Fixtures, meetings, results



9th September 2008 at 7.00 pm, Dumyat Centre Library


In the chair

Les Sharp


Caroline Crawford


Louise Craven


Stan Paterson
Wendy Holt
Jim Gardner
Beth Cook


Councillor Eddie Carrick
Councillor Janice Paterson
Monika Mackenzie
Austin Mitchell
Linda Matheson

In Attendance:

Sheila Bulloch, Clacks Council
Constable S. Currie
Menstrie Mains Resident


Kenny McKaig

1. Approval of Minutes of 10th June 2008

Approved: Beth Cook
Seconded: Stan Paterson

2. Matters Arising from Minutes

Metal Stakes by the Burn

Mr. Cook has investigated the metal stakes but unfortunately they are partially underwater and it is not possible to remove them.

3. Community Policeman's Report

The crime figures over the summer period have been very low in comparison to other areas. 70% of reported crime had been detected.

Concern was voiced that the new road markings at the school for parking had not been carried out over the summer period. P.C. Currie will contact the Council regarding when the work will commence. CC will also make contact with Alan Murray.


Concern was also voiced regarding children crossing the road via the park etc. on their bicycles and not stopping to look before they cross. P.C. Currie will contact the school and raise the matter with them with a view to doing some safety education.


4. Menstrie Mains and Greenbelt

Mike, a resident of Menstrie Mains, gave an update on the ongoing campaign to terminate the contract with Greenbelt Group Ltd. for the maintenance of the site.

251 out of 300 residents have signed the petition and Mike went down to Westminster to speak to the Committee regarding the problems they were having which are country-wide and not specific to Menstrie.

Mike will keep us updated on progress.


5. Dumyat Centre Extension

Sheila Bulloch updated us on the progress of the proposed extension to the Centre. The planning application, with a small amendment, is now before the Council and awaits approval.

It is hoped that work will start as soon as possible after approval is given and will hopefully, weather permitting, be completed by the Spring of 2009.

It was suggested that the Community Council may wish to consider applying for Awards for All funding for soft play equipment.

6. Treasurer's Report

Wood Account - £5,477.31
• Includes invoice due to BTCV: Net amount in bank - £900.19
General Account - £1,771.96
• Includes ring-fenced IT Budget - £358.09
Gala Account - £3,837.64
• (accounts still to be paid)

7. Councillors' Reports

There were no reports to hand.

8. Correspondence

All correspondence since the last meeting was read and actioned as necessary.

9. Public Art, Midtown Gardens

It is hoped that the public art will be completed by October. Liaison will take place with Cathy Knox before it is erected.

A visit has been organised to visit Andy Scott's studio in Glasgow.

Link to report of visit - ed.

10. Park Road South

Upgrading of this road was high on the agenda put before the Council for consideration. However, there is no money in this year's budget and will be carried forward to next year's budget.

11. Community Woodland

An application will be made to the new Community Chest Fund for a leaf blower and weed killer equipment.

12. Village Improvements

LS, CC walked round Midtown and the Park with Cathy Knox and she updated them on the plans for both of these areas:

13. Community Council Elections

Two new members have been elected to the Council:

We still have a further vacancy which can be filled by co-option.

14. Calendar

In view of Kenny McKaig's resignation the calendar will not now be done.

15. Any Other Business

Data Protection

It looks likely that the Community Council, to comply with regulations, will now have to register for Data Protection. This will cost approx. £37/year to be part of the scheme.

The Joint Community Council Forum will ask the Council if they will fund the registration costs. Every Community Council will have to appoint a Data Protection Officer.


The September Newsletter was collated and distributed to each member for delivery.

16. Date and Time of Next Meeting

Tuesday 14th October 2008 at 7.00 pm.

About ... | Accessibility | Contact us | Privacy