» Home  » Official  » Community Council  » Minutes, Feb 2010 

INDEX

 HOME

Welcome to Menstrie

 Churches

Services, activities

 Heritage

History, outdoors

 Images of Menstrie

 Your pictures ...

 Mailbag

You're telling us ...

 Official bodies

Council, health, school

 Social & sport

Fixtures, meetings, results

 

MINUTES OF COMMUNITY COUNCIL MEETING

9th February 2010 at 7.00pm, Dumyat Centre Library

Present:

In the chair

Les Sharp

Secretary

Caroline Crawford

Vice-Chairperson

Stan Paterson

Members

Jim Gardiner
Linda Matheson
Beth Cook
Monika MacKenzie
Austin Mitchell
Alison Stupart
Alison Muirhead

Apologies:

Louise Craven
Councillor Eddie Carrick, Clackmannanshire Council
Councillor Janice Paterson, Clackmannanshire Council
Constable Stephen Currie, Central Scotland Police

In Attendance:

Ninian Somerville, Clackmannanshire Council
John Doig, Resident

1. Appointments and Resignations

Resignations were received and accepted from Sarah-Louise Philip and Barry Hill.

2. Approval of Minutes of 12th January 2010

Approved: Stan Paterson
Seconded: Beth Cook

3. Dumyat Centre Extension

Ninian Somerville outlined the project's progress. The tenders from the contractors have now been received and one has been accepted. There will now be a short period when the other tenderers can appeal, after which work should start on site. Hopefully the Centre will be open in some form during the construction work but the car park will be unavailable as this will be required for the contractor's equipment. The project is still on schedule to be completed by the end of May.

The Chair thanked Ninian for coming along and asked that we be updated on a regular basis.

4. Park Road South

John Doig, a resident of Park Road South, enquired about the progress on improving this road. It was agreed with Councillor Carrick that a temporary infill would be made to the larger of the holes but it was considered by the Roads Department that this may cause flooding to the houses and would not be a suitable solution.

Due to the fact that this is a well used route by locals, especially as a route to school, it is a matter of urgency that some remedial action is taken to address the problem. LS will contact Councillor Carrick again on the matter.

ACTION - LS

5. Matters Arising from Minutes: Road sweeping

SP will contact the Council regarding the lack of road sweeping since the start of the year. The same glass and litter is lying on Brook Street and this is a danger to children walking to school etc. Other areas of the village also are in need of being cleaned up.

ACTION - SP

6. Treasurer's Report

In the absence of the Treasurer there was no report.

7. Community Policeman's Report

In the absence of P.C. Currie a written report was read out.
Menstrie still has the lowest crime figure in Clackmannanshire, with most crimes being motoring-related.

8. Councillors' Reports

In the absence of both Councillors there was no report.

9. Correspondence

All correspondence was read and actioned.

10. Menstrie Matters

The deadline for articles for the March issue is 28th February.

11. Community Woodland

Charitable status

Austin is taking forward the work involved with charitable status for the Woodland Group. Some documentation is required: a plan of the wood and management plan. CC will supply previous information to Austin.
Some funding information has also been received and will be looked at by AM.

CWA seminar

A communication has been received from the Community Woodlands Association (CWA) with regard to the proposed seminar to be held in Menstrie on 28th March. Due to the construction work due to start on the Dumyat Centre and the lack of parking, regretfully we will not now be able to host this event. However, it will be suggested to CWA that the venue could possibly be moved to Alva. Austin will liaise with CWA.

ACTION - AM

Spring clean

The annual Spring Clean will take place on 25th April. This will involve both the Woodland and the burn.

Work in the wood

A day or even a weekend should be organised to do some work in the Woodland.

No further contact has been had from BTCV, (otherwise known as the British Trust for Conservation Volunteers).

ACTION - LS

12. Fete and Gala

Some of the rides have come back to us to say that they are double-booked. Nevertheless we are confident that we will be able to source some alternatives. LS will contact Sheila Bulloch for contacts.

ACTION - LS

AM will also provide some contact information.

ACTION - AM

LS informed us that the small change jar in the Burnside for the Gala had raised £150 and we thanked him for this donation towards the Gala.

There will be a stall, as last year, outside the Church at the end of May in aid of Gala funds.

13. Planning Applications

A planning application has been submitted from the PitStop Cafe for extended hours, 7 days a week from the current 07.00 - 15.00h to 07.00 - 23.00h. The Community Council submitted an objection on the basis that this would encourage people to loiter outside the establishment late at night. This establishment is situated on the Main Street which is predominately a residential area. Parking and litter could also be a problem.

14. Any Other Business

Primary school

BC asked that people do not exercise their dogs in the grassed area behind the Primary School as this is a play area for the children and not a dog walking area.

With regard to the parking at the school, the gaps are going to be filled in during April or May. There will also be a clear zone area at the end of Park Road South and the 20mph signs may be relocated. Hopefully these measures will finally discourage parents from parking outside the school and make it a safer place for the children coming into and out of school.

Ochils Landscape Partnership

CC attended both the Steering Group Meeting and the Advisory Group Meeting of the Ochils Landscape Partnership (OLP). As proposers of a project we are not happy with the way the OLP has evolved and feel that not enough communication has been had with the local communities involved. CC and LS will attend the next Steering Group Meeting due to take place later this month.

In the meantime we have taken the proposed Mill Wheel project out of the OLP Project and will pursue this solely through the Community Council.

15. Date and Time of Next Meeting

Tuesday 9th March 2010 at 7.00pm.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.50pm.

About ... | Accessibility | Contact us | Privacy