MINUTES OF COMMUNITY COUNCIL MEETING
12th October 2010 at 7.00pm, Dumyat Centre Community Room
In the chair
Les Sharp (Chairperson)
Stan Paterson (Vice-Chairperson)
Councillor Janice Paterson, Clackmannanshire Council
Constable Ally Logan, Central Scotland Police
Constable Chris Smith, Central Scotland Police
1 member of the public
1. Appointments and Resignations
The following were appointed to the Community Council:
- Maeve Bain
- Maurice Dickson
- Andrew Noon
- Rebecca Noon
There were no resignations
2. Approval of Minutes of 14th September 2010
Approved: Linda Matheson
Seconded: Beth Cook
3. Matters Arising from Minute of 14th September 2010
LS explained that he and CC had met with Brian Forbes and a representative from Facilities Management Service, Clackmannanshire Council, regarding the running of the Dumyat Centre. A discussion ensued on the merits of the Community Council taking over the operating of the Centre.
LS had consulted with the residents of Windsor Street on the ongoing problem of crows and related that 80% of residents agreed that the trees should be felled. He met with no objections.
LS stated that he has the wreath organised for Remembrance Day.
4. Treasurer's Report
In the absence of the Treasurer there was no report.
5. Community Police Officers' Report
LS welcomed officers Ally Logan and Chris Smith to the Meeting. The Officers had circulated their report at the beginning of the meeting. It was noted that:
- There has been an increase of patrols in Menstrie at the weekends
- Alcohol seizures only
- No drugs or weapons have been seized
- Consensual search techniques have been introduced
- Speeding on the A91 and Menstrie Mains continues to be a concern
6. Councillor Paterson's Report
Crows in Windsor Street
It was minuted that a door-to-door survey had taken place by LS. The majority of residents agreed that Clackmannanshire Council should remove the trees and replant with a more suitable species.
Wind Turbine planing application
A lengthy discussion ensued on this emotive issue and the process of seeking planning approval was explained. The Chairman related that he had submitted a strong objection to the wind turbine. The meeting discussed the de-merits of the turbine:
- Blot on the beautiful landscape which would be visible for miles;
- Blade reflection;
- Blade flicker;
- Offers no employment or energy to the locale.
- Lack of dog bins at Middle Kerse
- [Lack of] grit bins at Burnside Road bridge.
Friends of the Ochils subscription:
It was agreed that the subscription of £15.00 would be continued. LS will approach the Treasurer.
ACTION - LS
8. Menstrie Matters
- LM said the next newsletter will be distributed at the end of November.
- LM has approached advertisers.
- AN to contribute an article about the Gala Day.
- LS to contribute an article about the wind turbine application.
- BC to give schedule for the Christmas events.
ACTIONS - AN, LS, BC
9. Community Woodland
- LS stated that Saturday 30th October will be a 'clean up day' for the woodland. He asked for volunteers to show up between 10am and 3pm.
- LS reported that he had applied for funding to Paths for All.
- It was suggested that we have a working group for the woodland.
10. Fete and Gala 2011
- AN told the meeting he had been familiarising himself with the issues of the Gala Day.
- LS stated he will pass on a contacts list to Andrew. Action - LS
- Fundraising for the Gala Day was discussed, including:
- 'pass the bucket around' at the carol singing at Christmas;
- the duck race at Easter;
- tabletop sales throughout the year.
- It was suggested we move away from the bric-a-brac stalls and concentrate more on home baking and local produce for the Gala Day stalls.
- Next Gala/Fete meeting is on Tuesday 19th October 2010 at 7.00pm in the Dumyat Centre.
11. Any Other Business
- BC asked about paying an invoice from the Council for a Bingo Tea.
LS stated he would arrange for payment. Action - LS
- It was suggested to approach the Burnside Inn for a venue for bingo teas.
- LM asked about borrowing the bunting from the church for the Gala Day.
- LS suggested we look at the possibility of sub-committees for eg.
- Planning issues;
- Menstrie Matters;
- Landscape Partnership;
- LM suggested we approach the primary school to get them involved in our newsletter.
- LM suggested we insert Menstrie Matters into the new community noticeboard
- It was suggested that the Community Council have a Debit Card as well as a chequebook.
12. Date and Time of Next Meeting
Tuesday 9th November 2010 at 7.00pm in the Dumyat Centre.