MINUTES OF COMMUNITY COUNCIL MEETING - DRAFT
Tuesday 12th November 2013 at 7.00pm, Dumyat Centre Community Room
In the chair
Councillor Jim Stalker, Clackmannanshire Council
Councillor Les Sharp, Clackmannanshire Council
Constable Roy Mitchell, Central Scotland Police
1. Appointments and resignations
2. Approval of minutes of meeting of 8th October 2013
Approved: Jim Gardiner
Seconded: Beth Cook
3. Matters arising from minutes
None. All Agenda items.
4. Treasurer's report
As of today the balance stands at £12,234.90.
5. Community Police report
PC Roy Mitchell reported orally on behalf of the police.
The Police Office is now based entirely in Alloa with the Tullibody Police Office now being the base for the Major Incidents Team.
Since the last meeting three crimes have been detected in Menstrie, with three crimes currently undetected. One of these crimes was the theft of garden ornaments but no suspect has been identified. It was also reported that a cash machine in Alva had recently been skimmed and the public should be aware of this happening.
The current PACT† issue is to reduce the availability of alcohol in shops to persons who are under age.
† Police and Communities Together - ed.
The Police Christmas Party for the elderly will be held in the Town Hall on the 17th December and if anybody wishes to refer anybody they should contact David.Armitage@scotland.pnn.police.uk.
There will also be an e:safety seminar held in the Town Hall on the 20th November at either 12.00-14.30 or 18.00-20.30.
Traffic Wardens are no longer provided by the Police and it is now down to individual Councils to make provision.
6. Councillors' reports
A written report was circulated by Councillor Sharp and, contained the following points.
- The existence of The Gate Project in Alloa was highlighted. They provide food parcels and starter packs for people in need and it was decided that we would ask people who attend the fundraising Bingo Teas to bring along a donation each month.
- Members had received complaints about the speed of a pony and trap on the cycleway which was considered to be a safety hazard to pedestrians and other users.
Dog fouling on the cycleway appears to be on the increase which may in part
be because of the darker evenings.
[Clacks Council has begun a Dog Watch where residents can report dog fouling and allow the wardens to take action. Details of the campaign are on Clacksweb. - ed.]
- Bushes by the crossing of East Mains and Lipney require to be cut back to improve the visibility at the crossing. This is a well used route to school for the children from Middleton Kerse and adults and they have to contend with cyclists travelling along the path at speed.
After discussion it was also decided by the members present that we would donate £100 to the Philippines Disaster Fund.
ACTION - CC
The correspondence was read and actioned as necessary.
8. Community Woodland
It was agreed that a clean-up would take place in the New Year.
9. Community Garden
There have been a number of people from the Church and the Community working hard in the garden and the polytunnel frame has now been erected. Thanks must go to all the helpers for their hard work, in particular the three people from the Church. It is planned that the cover of the polytunnel will be put on at 10.00am on the 7th December, weather and volunteers permitting.
There has been a problem fitting the troughs to the bridge railings but hopefully a solution will be found in the near future and they can be planted up for the Spring.
10. Menstrie Matters
The next issue will be approx. 16 pages long. After discussion it was agreed that the back and front covers would be in colour at an approx. cost of £500. The deadline for copy is the 20th November.
11. Christmas Carols and Christmas Tree
These will take the same format as last year and the Carol Singing will be held in the Church Hall on 19th December when Santa will also visit the children. Volunteers are needed for the erection of the Christmas Tree on the 14th December and to decorate the tree. It was agreed that a new roll of orange tape would be purchased.
12. Village Improvements
Discussion took place as to what improvements members would like to see take place in the village. Suggestions included:
- seating in the garden area in the centre of the village;
- more flower planting;
- a bandstand in the gardens;
- a hydro scheme in the glen to power lights down the burn;
- reconstruction of the water wheel by the Scout Hall;
- wildflowers along the length of the woodland adjacent to the A91.
13. Any other business
The next meeting will take place at 7.00 pm on Tuesday 10th December 2013.
There being no further business the meeting closed at 21.25.