SECRETARY'S ANNUAL REPORT
September 2015 to June 2016
The following highlights some of the business that took place during 2015 - 2016.
This was yet another busy year for the members with several fundraising events being held in order to provide community events in the village.
- There were problems with motor cycles using the cycleway.
- The residents in East Mains and Broompark East and West received letters that they would now have to pay maintenance for the grass cutting which had previously been done by the Council.
- It was agreed that we would pursue funding for the village to undertake a Community Plan.
- We were unsuccessful in the Council's Community Garden Competition.
- An appeal was made for more younger volunteers to come forward to help run the events of the Fete Week and the Gala. New ideas are needed
- The running track at the Primary School was completed.
- Rhona Ramsay was welcomed as a new member of the Community Council.
- PC Armitage introduced himself as one of the new Community Policing Officers based at Alloa Police Station.
- The plaque to commemorate the Baton Relay was installed outside the Dumyat Centre main door.
- Stirling and Clackmannanshire Shared service for Education and Social Services was stopped by Stirling Council.
- We made a donation of £250 to local Alva Academy pupils who will be undertaking volunteering in Malawi.
- The Community Garden closed for the winter months.
- EDF Small Grants fund commenced administration by the Community Council.
- Discussions took place about setting up a Senior Citizens Lunch Club in the village.
- The noticeboard required to be repaired.
- Tree roots are erupting on the cycleway and this was reported to the Council.
- Crime figures continued to be low in the village.
- The new Community Policing model started this month where there would be two dedicated Community Police in the village.
- Stuart Crickmar attended our meeting and gave an overview of the budget position at Clacks Council and the community consultation that was available on-line.
- New signage and interpretation boards were installed at the entrance to the Hillfoots Way.
- The wildflower meadow was cleared and strimmed and more seeds planted.
- Plans were put in place to have the War Memorial cleaned and funding for this was sought so that a plaque to the Polish Soldiers could also be put in place.
- Questionnaire was circulated to every house in the village re. the possibility of setting up a Senior Citizens Lunch Club.
- Tubs and troughs were planted with spring bulbs.
- PC Allen attended and intimated that he was now the permanent Community Policeman covering Menstrie and Tullibody.
- Councillor Sharp intimated that when the bin collection goes to 3-weekly people can have their bins changed from a small one to a larger one or vice versa by contacting the Council.
- Two new members were co-opted onto the Community Council: Rhona Rankin and Obaid Rehman.
- Arrangements were made to have an overhanging tree on the woodland path removed.
- It was agreed that the Community Council would donate £ 5,000 to the Primary School towards an outdoor classroom. This will be time limited as it is money we have received by a grant.
- A new pharmacist took up her post in the local Chemist.
- We held our Carols and Santa event in the Church Hall and this was much appreciated, as was the help from members of the church who provided the buffet.
- Community Sergeant Cathy Sharkey attended the meeting with the Community Policeman PC Allen.
- Planning permission was granted for a house on Park Road South. .
- The 30mph speed sign at the entrance to the village at the bottom of Tullibody Brae was reported as not been working for some time.
- Agreed we would write to the Council re. the speed of the traffic on the Back Road between Menstrie and Alva requesting that it be reduced from 30mph to 20mph.
- There was a good response to the Lunch Club Questionnaire and it was agreed that we would have a start up date of February on a fortnightly basis.
- A start up grant was obtained from EDF for a trial period.
- An application was received from Menstrie Pensioners to the EDF Small Grant Fund which we distribute.
- Several new people came forward to help with the Fete/Gala.
- Discussion was had about not having a Christmas Tree this year but instead look at the possibility of lighting the trees down the burn, Foxy Boy and the bridge.
- Clacks Council replied to say that the introduction of a 20mph speed limit on the Back Road would be inappropriate given the volume of traffic. The use of speed bumps would also be inappropriate and may lead to accidents.
- Reply received re. the speed sign at the bottom of Tullibody Brae reporting that it is not able to be repaired as it is nearing the end of its useful life. A survey of all the road signs in Clacks is being undertaken and it may be that the sign will have to be removed until funds are available for a replacement.
- Re. our enquiry as to why the removal of the resurfacing work at Burnside Road/Dumyat Road was removed from the current schedule; this was due to lack of resources. Confirmation that both roads are now scheduled to be resurfaced during 2016/17, most likely Summer of 2016.
- We requested that a dog bin be situated at the entrance to Middleton Kerse Estate.
- We requested that one of the bins in the Kerry site could be resited as it is hidden from view by the hedge.
- Community Payback Team have cleaned up the path in the woodland.
- Funding application was made to Scotmid for summer plants for the village baskets and tubs.
- Work on the two large fallen oak trees which blocked the woodland path continued.
- The Lunch Club started on the 11th of the month.
- Broomhall Castle have offered two open topped cars for the Gala procession.
- Another very successful Duck Race was held.
- The current prohibition notice on the Back Road will be extended to 24 hours and will also become a dedicated 20mph zone along its length.
- Permission received from the Council for the siting of the new benches and tubs and the new plaque added to the war memorial.
- Following the success of the Lunch Club a funding application was made to continue it for another 3 years.
- The dog bin on the cycleway was vandalised but this will be replaced in May when the Council have received new bins.
- We were successful in our funding bid to Scotmid and plants and compost will now be organised.
- A generous donation was received from Kerry for the Fete Week/Gala but in spite of applying to Diageo no acknowledgement was received which was very disappointing considering they are a major employer in the village.
- new Head of Education, Ann Pearson, was appointed to Clacks Council and will take up her post shortly.
- Crime in Menstrie remains very low compared to the rest of the County.
- Our application for further funding for the Lunch Club was successful.
- I and Stan Paterson are now keyholders for the Dumyat Centre and received training.
- Additional sleepers were acquired for the erection of another raised bed in the Community Garden.
- A representative from Scotmid visited the Community Garden and was very impressed at the work that had been done.
- This month saw the last Lunch Club before a recess in July and August. It will start up again in September.
- Signage was needed as to how to get to the Community Garden, also that there is CCTV in operation.
- The unveiling of the new plaque to the Polish soldier took place and the unveiling was done by Depute Polish Consul from Edinburgh and Keith Brown our local SMP. This was followed by a reception in the Church Hall and everybody who attended agreed it was a great success.
Meetings attended by Secretary 2015, 2016
|5th September 2015||Visit to Burnfoot Windfarm|
|9th September 2015||Community Partners Review|
|30th September 2015||EDF Review Meeting|
|7th October 2015||Health & Social Care Integration|
|8th October 2015||Enhancing the Role of Local Democracy|
|14th October 2015||EDF Funding Meeting|
|24th November 2015||Meeting with local Councillor|
|26th November 2015||Joint Community Council meeting|
|18th January 2016||Meeting at Alva Academy Sports Hub|
|21st January 2016||EDF Meeting|
|27th January 2016||EDF Review Meeting|
|28th January 2016||Joint Community Council meeting|
|1st February 2016||Meeting with Auditor|
|22nd February||EDF Meeting|
|7th March||Meeting at Alva Academy Sports Hub|
|12th March||Community Council Conference|
|30th March||Meeting with Brian Forbes|
|21st Apri||Joint Community Council meeting|
|28th April||Meeting with Fraser Matheson|
|18th May||EDF Panel Meeting|
|27th May||Meeting with John Marshall|
|15th June||Windfarm Extension Meeting, Tillicoultry|
|22nd June||EDF Steering Group Meeting|